Content Editor 
Although the Capitol Complex is open to the public the Department of State is not open for visitors to enter NOB offices. Those constituents who wish to drop of materials for the Bureau of Corporations and Charitable Organizations or the Bureau of Elections should be advised to utilize the drop box across the street at the entrance of the Keystone Complex. Those with questions can be provided with the following phone number: 717-783-3945 and their call will be forwarded to the appropriate agency.
Bureau of Professional and Occupational Affairs staff are continuing to process applications as quickly as possible during this emergency. In order to increase the number of health care providers to respond to the COVID-19 emergency, the Governor has suspended certain licensing provisions. Due to the public health risk surrounding the Coronavirus, we are currently unable to accept walk-in customers and phone calls. For all inquiries, please utilize the email addresses found on the Board Contact Information webpage.
The processing of licenses and permits for health care practitioners continues to be a priority. Please refer to www.pals.pa.gov/verify to check the status of a license or permit.
For more details visit:
State Board of Cosmetology
The State Board of Cosmetology regulates the practice and licensure of estheticians; nail technicians; cosmetologists and teachers of cosmetology; and cosmetology salons and schools in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. The Board promulgates and enforces regulations for the examination and licensure of applicants to practice or teach cosmetology and to manage schools of cosmetology.
The Board also issues apprentice permits in appropriate circumstances as well as licenses to perform nail technology only, natural hair braiding only or practice esthetics only. The Board prescribes disinfection standards to be followed to prevent the creation or spread of infectious diseases.
GUIDANCE FOR COSMETOLOGY SALONS PERMITTED TO OPERATE DURING THE GREEN PHASE TO ENSURE THE SAFETY AND HEALTH OF EMPLOYEES AND THE PUBLIC
Pearson Vue testing site closure information
The best method for candidates to register for an exam is to log into their Pearson VUE account, via the web at: https://home.pearsonvue.com/pa/cosmetology, or, https://home.pearsonvue.com/pa/bpoa, and search for an exam date & time; candidates can then enter different zip codes and a mile radius as well for alternate options.
Visit our COVID Webpage: https://home.pearsonvue.com/coronavirus-update
- Click on the FAQ Hyperlink for questions and answers regarding scheduling and rescheduling.
Guidance Regarding At Home Color Kits and DIY Kits Provided by shops and Salons:
Color Kit Guidance
Information on the Governor’s Plan to Reopen Pennsylvania
The plan for Pennsylvania can be found here:
More information on the full process to Reopen Pennsylvania can be found here
Learn more about the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak
For updated guidance regarding online education during the COVID-19 outbreak:
Please read the following important information:
- On November 5, 2018, the State Board of Cosmetology approved a consent agreement (case number 17-45-06196) in which the Respondent acknowledged that the practice of microblading is outside of the scope of cosmetology and that performing microblading within a cosmetology salon is a violation of 49 Pa. Code § 7.77 (use of salon for other purposes prohibited).
- The Board’s regulations allow an applicant to request a variance from the minimum space requirements set forth in 49 Pa. Code § 7.76 (floor space). All floor space variance requests shall be submitted in the manner set forth in the new salon application or salon change application, whichever is applicable.
- Bureau inspectors will continue to inspect the entirety of your salon for compliance with 49 Pa. Code § 7.77 and all other relevant regulations and provisions of the Cosmetology Act.
- Reminder: The Board staff and Board counsel are unable to give advisory opinions, legal advice or interpretations of the Cosmetology Act and Board regulations. Please consult an attorney of your choice for legal advice or interpretations of the Cosmetology Act and Board regulations.
IF YOUR LICENSE IS EXPIRED YOU MUST CONTACT THE BOARD OFFICE TO REQUEST A REACTIVATION APPLICATION.
You may contact the Board office by email email@example.com or by phone at
**Please provide your license number and full name as it appears on your license when emailing or calling the Board office. If you do not know your license number, you can search for your personal or salon/shop license at
Please note that neither the Board/Commission, nor its staff or counsel, are permitted to provide legal advice or advisory opinions, including interpretations of the law or regulations, or any indication as to how the Board would vote on any given case or scenario. You are invited to contact a private attorney or professional organization for advice or guidance.