Board Meetings have now moved to our new location in the Eaton Conference Room on the 1st Floor at 2525 N 7th Street.
State Board of Social Workers, Marriage and Family Therapists and Professional Counselors
The Bureau of Professional and Occupational Affairs (BPOA) received reports that persons pretending to be from one of the health-related boards are contacting both active and inactive licensees. The scammers are altering the information that appears on caller ID to show the State Board phone number and name (spoofing). The scammers are known to be aggressively accusing licensees of drug trafficking and/or money laundering and sending emails and text messages indicated the license has been suspended. In addition, the scammers are sending facsimiles to licensees on forged letterhead, originating from a fake phone number.
BPOA reminds licensees and applicants of the following:
· We will NOT text, call or fax you a suspension notification. The Department initiates disciplinary action through an administrative process. If you are the subject of an investigation or disciplinary action, you will receive notice by certified mail and/or personal service.
· We will NOT engage you in a 3-way call with the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI).
· We will NOT ask you to receive faxes from a specific retailer for a fee.
· Do NOT give your personal or financial information over the phone, by text message or fax, including your zip code.
· We will NEVER request payment for any service or civil penalty by wire, gift cards or transfer to a foreign country.
· We WILL provide you with a contact name and phone number if you are the subject of an investigation or disciplinary action.
· CONTACT the Board office if you are not sure if a communication pertaining to your licensure status is legitimate.
· CONTACT your local police department or the Pennsylvania State Police if you believe you have been the victim of a scam.
· REPORT any email or online scam attempts to the FBI Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3) Internet Crime Complaint Center(IC3) | Home Page
The State Board of Social Workers, Marriage and Family Therapists and Professional Counselors protects the public from unprofessional, improper, unauthorized and unqualified practice of social work, licensed marriage and family therapy and licensed professional counseling. The Board regulates and controls individuals who call themselves a social worker and individuals who hold themselves out as being licensed clinical social workers, licensed marriage and family therapists and licensed professional counselors.
The Board's functions include promulgating rules and regulations, requiring applicants to pass examinations relating to their qualifications as a prerequisite to the issuance of a license and examining for, denying, approving, issuing, revoking, suspending or renewing such licenses. In addition, the Board conducts hearings upon complaints concerning violations of Act 136 of 1998 and promulgates standards of professional practice and conduct for licensed social workers, clinical social workers, marriage and family therapists and professional counselors.
Please note that neither the Board/Commission, nor its staff or counsel, are permitted to provide legal advice or advisory opinions, including interpretations of the law or regulations, or any indication as to how the Board would vote on any given case or scenario. You are invited to contact a private attorney or professional organization for advice or guidance.