Board Meetings will continue to take place at their current location within Penn Center (2601 N 3rd St) until further notice.
State Board of Funeral Directors
The State Board of Funeral Directors regulates the licensure and practice of funeral directors in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. The Board’s functions include the formulation of necessary rules and regulations for the proper conduct of the business or profession of funeral directing in order to safeguard the interests of the public and the standards of the profession.
In addition, the Board fixes the time and place for the examination necessary to obtain a license and, through its authorized inspector, conducts inspections of funeral homes.
Please note that neither the Board/Commission, nor its staff or counsel, are permitted to provide
legal advice or
advisory opinions, including
interpretations of the law or regulations, or any indication as to how the Board would vote on any given case or scenario. You are invited to contact a private attorney or professional organization for advice or guidance.
The Bureau of Professional and Occupational Affairs (BPOA) received reports that persons pretending to be from one of the business-related boards are contacting both active and inactive licensees. The scammers are altering the information that appears on caller ID to show the State Board phone number and name (spoofing). The scammers are known to be aggressively accusing licensees of drug trafficking and/or money laundering and sending emails and text messages indicated the license has been suspended. In addition, the scammers are sending facsimiles to licensees on forged letterhead, originating from a fake phone number.
BPOA reminds licensees and applicants of the following:
· We will NOT text, call or fax you a suspension notification. The Department initiates disciplinary action through an administrative process. If you are the subject of an investigation or disciplinary action, you will receive notice by certified mail and/or personal service.
· We will NOT engage you in a 3-way call with the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI).
· We will NOT ask you to receive faxes from a specific retailer for a fee.
· Do NOT give your personal or financial information over the phone, by text message or fax, including your zip code.
· We will NEVER request payment for any service or civil penalty by wire, gift cards or transfer to a foreign country.
· We WILL provide you with a contact name and phone number if you are the subject of an investigation or disciplinary action.
· CONTACT the Board office if you are not sure if a communication pertaining to your licensure status is legitimate.
· CONTACT your local police department or the Pennsylvania State Police if you believe you have been the victim of a scam.
· REPORT any email or online scam attempts to the FBI Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3) Internet Crime Complaint Center(IC3) | Home Page