Registration of a Trademark
A trademark is any word, name, symbol or device adopted and used by a person or entity to identify goods produced, manufactured or sold by that person or entity. A trademark is filed by submitting the completed form. Trademarks are effective for a term of five years from the date of registration. Application to renew for a similar term, must be made within six months prior to the expiration of such term. The trademark application must contain the following information:
- The trademark name must be available for use in Pennsylvania.
- The name of the applicant and the jurisdiction if the applicant is a corporation.
- The residence, location or place of business of the applicant. A Commercial Registered Office Provider's may not be used in lieu of an address.
- A statement as to the name and description of the mark. A facsimile of the mark to be registered must accompany the application.
- A specification as to the general class of goods or services. These classification are set forth in 54 Pa. C.S. Section 1103.
- A listing of the goods or services with which the mark is used and the mode and manner in which the mark is used in connection with such goods and services.
- The date when the mark was first used anywhere.
- The date when the mark was first used in this Commonwealth by the applicant or the predecessor in title of the applicant.
- The application must be signed by the applicant.